Buttermilk Brined Pork Chops with Mango-Tomato Salsa
- For the salsa:
- 1 large sweet mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 large tomato, diced (about 3/4 cup, diced)
- ½ cup minced red onion
- Large pinch of salt
- 3-4 sorrel leaves, chiffonaded
- For the pork chops:
- 1 quart buttermilk
- ¾ cup coarse sea salt
- ¼ cup crushed black pepper
- 6-8 center cut pork loin chops, bone-in
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, salt and pepper. Whisk vigorously to dissolve the salt, then pour over the chops, making sure each chop is covered by the buttermilk. Refrigerate for at least one hour to up to three, turning the chops in the buttermilk halfway through.
- When ready to cook, remove from the buttermilk and rinse each chop well. Pat dry with a papertowel.
- To cook, either grill the chops on a medium-high heat until cooked through, or bake at 375* for about 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. The pork is ready when its internal temperature reaches at least 165*F. Serve hot.
Copyright Ruthy Kirwan for Percolate Kitchen, (c) 2017