Classic Breakfast Casserole
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
This hearty breakfast keeps for up to 2 months if wrapped tightly in the freezer. Change up the veggies if you prefer, or go meatless; this is a really forgiving recipe with room to maneuver!
- 6 slices of whole-wheat bread
- 1 lb breakfast sausage links, sliced into ¼”
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup half and half
- 9 eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cube the bread and toss with the sausage and spinach leaves. Transfer to a resealable bag or container.
- If needed, shred the cheddar cheese and transfer it to a resealable bag or container.
The bread and spinach will store in the fridge for up to 4 days. It will last for up to 3 months in the fridge.
The shredded cheese will last for up to 1 month in the fridge and up to 4 months in the freezer.
Prepare From Prepped:
- Thaw ingredients as necessary.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Follow steps 4-7 in the instructions.
Make From Fresh:
- Preheat the oven to 350*F
- Cube the bread into ½” pieces.
- Slice the sausage into ¼” coins
- Toss the bread cubes, sausage, and spinach together in a large bowl, then spread evenly on the bottom of a greased casserole dish.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the mustard powder, salt, half and half, and eggs. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour over the bread and spinach, gently stirring to make sure all spinach leaves are covered in the egg mixture.
- Spread the shredded cheese evenly on top and place the dish in the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the eggs have set and the cheese is melted.