Make this simple and hearty quick bread for your Saint Patrick’s Day dinner… or hangover cure! Made with two types of flour, and tangy buttermilk, and served with Kerrygold Irish butter (of course!)
2 cups all purpose white flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
14 oz (or 1 3/4 cups) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 450*F
- Over a large mixing bowl, sieve all the dry ingredients together
- A little at a time, add the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
- Once all the buttermilk is added, continue stirring until the dough is shaggy and barely combined.
- Turn onto a lightly floured countertop and gently knead until the bread is shaped into a round.
- Slice a cross shape into the top of the loaf.
- Bake at 450*F so 10 minutes, then turn the heat down to 400*F and continue baking for 30-45 minutes. Bread is done when you can turn it over and hear a hollow sound when you knock on the bottom of the loaf.
- Wrap in a kitchen towel and let sit at least half an hour before cutting.