For the chicken:
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup white flour
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock or broth
- 1 ½ cup marsala wine
- 8 ounces shredded Italian blend cheese
For the Tomato Rice:
- 1 ½ cups long grain white rice
- 22 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
Start the rice: rinse the rice in a colander under cold water until the water runs clear.
Transfer to a wide saute pan over medium heat and stir in the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, dried basil, chicken broth, and spinach until combined.
Bring the a boil and reduce to a simmer. Let cook until the liquid has cooked off and the rice is cooked through, about 15-18 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, make the chicken. Place the chicken between two pieces of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to ½” thick. Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, wide saute pan, until the oil is shimmering. Dredge the seasoned chicken breast in flour and transfer to the pan.
Add the mushrooms, wine, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer, cooking 5-10 minutes at a simmer until the chicken is cooked through.
Remove from the heat and top with the cheese. Serve the chicken with tomato rice on the side.
Prep it for later:
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear and transfer to a resealable bag or container.
- Add to a different resealable bag or container the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, dried basil, and chicken broth, and spinach.
- Pound the chicken, season it and dredge in flour. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat and brown the chicken, turning it on either side and draining it on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Transfer plate of browned chicken to the freezer and freeze for 20 minutes until stiff enough to stack easily in a reusable container or bag.
- Add the browned chicken to a resealable bag and add the sliced mushrooms, marsala, and chicken broth.
- Store the Italian blend grated cheese separately.
Freeze for up to 3 months, or store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
1 bag or container with rinsed rice
1 resealable bag or container with canned ingredients, basil, broth, and spinach.
1 resealable bag or container with browned chicken breasts, sliced mushrooms, wine, and chicken broth.
1 bag or container with grated Italian blend cheese.
Prepare from prepped: If frozen, thaw in the fridge overnight.
- Transfer the 2 bags of rice ingredients to a wide saute pan with a tight fitting lid and bring to a boil with the lid on.
- Remove lid, reduce to a simmer, and cook, about 15-18 minutes, until the liquid has cooked away and the rice is cooked through.
- Transfer the contents of the chicken bag or container to a large, wide saute pan and bring to a simmer.
- Cook 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and registers 160*F on a meat thermometer.
- Top the chicken with the cheese and place the tight-fitting lid on. Turn the heat to low and cook 3-5 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Serve chicken, mushrooms, and sauce with the tomato rice.