Frozen spinach gets a blast of cheese and garlic in this easy to make side!
I’m forever looking for easy sides to throw together for a quick dinner.
It’s like, my obsession. For reals, check out my “Easy Sides” Pinterest board. I’m always adding to it!
One thing I needed more of were sides that used frozen vegetables.
I mean, they’re cheap. They’re easy. They’re great to keep on hand as a backup. And research shows that freezing vegetables quickly after they’ve been picked retains their nutrients and vitamins.
I had a block of chopped spinach sitting in my freezer for, oh, 3 months?
Honestly, I was sick of looking at the thing. And guess what? We needed a side for dinner that night.
So I stewed the frozen spinach on the stovetop with broth, garlic, and some parmesan, and then I smothered it in crumbled feta before serving.
Ever eat a vegetable side so good it makes your eyes roll in the back of your head? If so, try this!
Frozen spinach side nirvana, baby.
We made it again. Then again. And I was eventually like, “this needs to be shared with the world”.
And so, I present to you: the easiest, more flavor packed frozen spinach side this little blog has ever seen.
Feta and Garlic Stewed Spinach
Dry Goodsolive oil2 tablespoons
chicken broth.5 cup
Producegarlic3 cloves, minced
Dairygrated parmesan.25 cup
crumbled feta.5 cup
This easy side comes together best when used with frozen chopped spinach, but you can use fresh spinach leaves if that’s what you have on hand.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the spinach, garlic, parmesan cheese and stir to combine, then add the broth.
- Place a tight fitting lid on the pan and reduce the heat the low. Simmer 5-8 minutes until the garlic has softened and the spinach is fragrant.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the crumbled feta. Serve warm.
Prep it for later:
1. Cook the ingredients according to the instructions.
2. When cool enough to handle, transfer to resealable bag or container.
Cooked ingredients will last for up to 4 days in the fridge, and up to 3 months in the freezer.
1 resealable bag or container of prepared ingredients
Prepare from prepped:
1. Thaw as necessary, then reheat gently over the stove or in the microwave in batches of 30 seconds, stirring in between.