From-Scratch Green Bean Casserole
A beloved Thanksgiving staple, green bean casserole is usually made with canned mushroom soup. This recipe not only recreates the canned soup flavor and mouthfeel by using fresh ingredients but does so in about 15 minutes of prep time. Try as I may, green bean casserole is really only a green bean casserole when you’ve used canned French fried onions. I must have tried a half dozen times to replicate the texture on my own, and I couldn’t! So stick with the pre-made French fried onions; they’ll retain a crispness even after cooking that is difficult to replicate using raw ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces fresh green beans (washed, trimmed, and cut into 2″ size lengths)
- 8 ounces sliced button mushrooms
- 6 ounces French fried onions
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. While the water is heating, fill a large bowl halfway with water and add a handful of ice cubes.
- Once the water is boiling, add the green beans and cook briefly, about 3-5 minutes, until they have turned bright green and have started to soften. Immediately transfer the green beans to the bowl of ice water, then drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk until combined. The flour mixture will be clumpy; that’s okay. Cook the flour mixture about 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until it begins to brown.
- Once the flour has browned slightly, slowly add the chicken stock, 1/4 cup at a time, whisking between each addition until smooth. Do the same with the heavy cream, then turn the heat to low and simmer the mixture, whisking often, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Spread the green beans into a large casserole dish, then add the mushrooms.Stir to combine.
- Pour the cream mixture over the green beans and mushrooms, spreading evenly.
- Top with an even layer of French fried onions, then place the dish in the oven.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the cream is bubbling and the beans and mushrooms are soft and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit before serving.