Indian Butter Curry
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes to 2 hours
This is one of my kids’ favorite meals, especially when eaten with a big serving of jasmine rice! Wait until after the curry is cooked through before stirring in the Greek yogurt, to avoid any separation. For vegan swaps, substitute coconut cream (take it from a can of coconut milk that hasn’t been shaken- just spoon off the thick, creamy milk the rises to the top) in place of Greek yogurt, stirring it in at the end. If you’re not adding chicken to this meal, 2 cups of chopped cauliflower florets is a fabulous swap.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 ounce fresh ginger
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 14 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast (optional)
- 2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons dried cumin
- ¼ pound butter (vegan or dairy)
- ½ cup Greek yogurt OR ½ cup coconut cream
- 4 cups cooked white jasmine rice
- Chop the onion, ginger, and garlic and transfer to a resealable bag or container.
- Chop the chicken and add to the resealable bag or container.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bag and shake to combine.
Prepare From Prepped:
- Follow the same instructions above for preparing from fresh or prepped.
Make From Fresh:
- Peel and dice the onion
- Peel and mince the ginger
- Peel and mince the garlic
- Dice the chicken, if using, into bite-sized pieces
Slow cooker instructions:
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the curry is smooth, about 1-2 hours, or low for 3-4 hour.
- Serve with rice.
- Thaw ingredients in fridge overnight or as necessary.
- Transfer contents to large pot with lid and cook on medium-low, removing lid occasionally to stir, until the chicken is cooked through and the curry is smooth, about 35 minutes-1 hour.