Creamy, rich tomato soup made with a handful of ingredients and only takes 15 minutes? I’m in!
This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup takes just 10 minutes in the Instant Pot, giving you just enough time to make a grilled cheese sandwich to go with it!
The batch is big enough to double easily without adding extra cook time, and the soup freezes beautifully. I like to make this soup on cold mornings so I can have it for lunch, and pack the rest away for another time.
This creamy tomato soup also utilizes one of my favorite tricks for making the Instant Pot work faster.
If you’ve ever wondered why the Instant Pot isn’t so… well, instant, then try this the next time you use the pot: turn on the ‘saute’ function to heat the pot while you gather ingredients!
If the Instant Pot is already nice and hot when you secure the lid, then it will rise to pressure faster than if you secure the lid with cold ingredients inside.
Doing it this way can lop off an extra 10 minutes cook time. And when you’re hungry, those extra minutes are precious!
Cook the vegetables first, then stir in the cream
This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup starts by sauteeing onions and celery until they start to soften.
Add the garlic, then the crushed tomatoes. I prefer using fire-roasted tomatoes since I like the extra depth of flavor the charring gives to the soup, but if you can’t get fire-roasted, don’t sweat it. It’ll still taste just as good!
Then it’s time for one more Instant Pot hack
From there, I like to do one more sneaky trick- I drop a bouillon cube straight in the pot, then add water.
Why go to the trouble of making broth from a bouillon cube with boiling water when you’ll be heating everything up at the same time, anyway?
Secure the lid and cook the soup for 10 minutes on high pressure, with a quick pressure release. When the lid can lift, blend the soup to your desired smoothness, and stir in the cream. That’s it!
This Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup is super simple, and the quick and easy cook time in the Instant Pot gives you just enough time to make a grilled cheese sandwich to have on the side!
Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup
Dry Goodsolive oil2 tablespoons
chicken broth1 cup
diced tomatoes28 ounce
Producecelery2 stalks, diced
onion1 small, diced
Dairyheavy cream.25 cup
Spicestable salt to taste
freshly cracked pepper to taste
Rich and flavorful soup, made with fire-roasted tomatoes, celery, onions, garlic, and a touch of cream swirled at the end. Freezes great, too! And yep: you can totally freeze the cream. It may separate a little during thawing. Stir it to combine in a small bowl, then add a few tablespoons of soup a little at a time until smooth, and add the cream and soup back to the larger pot.
Instant Pot Instructions:
1. Heat the olive oil in the Instant Pot on “saute” function until shimmering. 2. Add the onions and celery and stir, cooking until they have begun to soften.
3. Add the garlic, chicken broth, and cans of tomatoes and stir to combine.
4. Secure the lid and cook on High Pressure for 10 minutes.
5. Release the pressure with the Quick Release valve, then blend the soup with a blender or food processor until you’ve reached a desired smoothness.
If freezing, store cream separately.
Slow cooker instructions:
- Add ingredients raw and secure lid.
- Cook on low for 6 hours, high for 4, until soup is cooked through and easily blended.
If freezing, store cream separately.
Prep it for later:
1. Combine all ingredients except for the cream in a large freezer-safe gallon ziplock bag.
1 bag or container of prepped ingredients, except for cream
2. 1 container of cream, stored in the fridge or freezer
Prepare from prepped:
1. Combine all ingredients except for cream in the Instant Pot or slow cooker, then follow instructions as described in the recipe.
2. Add cream at the end of cooking, prior to serving.