Kale Salad with Farro, Pomegranate, and Spicy-Sweet Bacon
Proteinbacon5-6 thick cut slices
cooked chicken1 cup (optional)
Dry Goodslight brown sugar2 tablespoons
olive oil2 tablespoons
Kosher salt1 teaspoon
farro1/3 cup, cooked
Spiceschili powder1/4 teaspoon
Producelacinato kale1 large bunch (about 12 ounces)
pomegranate arils1/2 cup
We serve this bomb-ass salad every year at Thanksgiving.
Farro gives a lovely chew and texture to this salad but if you have trouble finding it, you can either leave it out or substitute with cooked Israeli (pearled) couscous, quinoa, bulghar, or barley- really any slightly chewy grain!
I always make extra of the spicy-sugared bacon, because it is impossible not to steal slices off the pan before they make it into the salad.
If you’re looking to bulk the salad up, I add shredded rotisserie chicken (included below as an option).
I like using lacinato kale in this recipes (that’s the kale with big, flat leaves) but curly kale works well, too.
Plus, here’s my trick for chopping pomegranates without spraying your whole kitchen with blood red juice: Slice the pom in half and then place in a large bowl of water. Use your hands to break the pom open underwater- the seeds (arils) will sink to the bottom and the white pith floats to the top, making it easier to skim and toss!
Make It From Fresh:
- Preheat the oven to 400*F nand line a sheet pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Bring 2 cups salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Once boiling, ad the farro and turn the heat to low.
- Cook, uncovered, about 10-12 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Use a fork to lightly fluff the grains, then set aside until later.
- While the farro is cooking, prepare the bacon: In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar and chili powder until mixed.
- Line the pan with the bacon strips, keeping a little space between each slice.
- Divide spoonfuls of the brown sugar and chili mix onto the slices, then use the back of a spoon to spread a thin layer on each piece of bacon.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake 10-12 minutes, until the bacon is crispy and beginning to brown.
- Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- While the bacon is cooking, prepare the kale: strip the kale leaves from the stems. Chop the leaves into small, bite-size pieces, and transfer into a large bowl.
- Add the olive oil and salt to the bowl with the kale, and use your hands to rub and massage the oil into the kale until the leaves are soft and pliable.
- When the bacon is cool enough to handle, chop finely and add to the kale salad.
- Separate the arils from the pomegranate fruit, if needed. Add to the salad.
- Add the shredded chicken, if using.
- Add the cooled farro grains.
- Use tongs to toss all ingredients of the salad together, then serve.
Prep it for later:
1. Prepare the farro according to the instructions and, once cool enough to handle, transfer to a resealable bag or container.
2. Pepare the bacon as instructed, then chop finely.
3. Transfer to the resealable bag or container with the cooked farro.
4. Chop the shredded chicken if using and transfer to the bag or container with the bacon and farro.
5. Separate the pomegranate arils from the pomegranates and transfer to the bag or container with the bacon, chicken, and farro.
6. Chop the kale and transfer to a resealable bag or container.
1 resealable bag or container of cooked farro, chopped bacon, shredded chicken (if using), and pomegranate arils.
1 resealable bag or container of prepared, chopped kale
Prepare from prepped:
1. Massage the chopped kale with olive oil and salt until the leaves are soft and pliable.
2. Add the remaining prepped ingredients and toss to combine.