Producebutternut squash1 large
flat-leaf parsley1 tablespoon
Dry Goodsolive oil2 tablespoons
white flour2 tablespoons
whole milk1 cup
grated parmesan1 cup
shredded cheddar cheese1 cup
shredded mozzarella1 cup
Dry Goodstable salt1/2 teaspoon
penne pasta1 pound
The ultimate in comfort food, this is an easy and totally kid-friendly recipe! If you want to bump up the protein a bit, I’ll sometimes stir in crumbled, browned sausage before the dish goes in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 400*F.
- Prepare the vegetables: Slice the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds.
- Drizzle the squash in oil and lay the halves, skin side down, on a sheet pan. Place the pan in the oven and roast until the squash is soft all the way through, about 20 minutes.
- When the squash is done roasting, turn the oven down to 350*F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, then add the penne noodles and cook until al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain but do not rinse, then set aside until needed.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Strip away the inner stems from the parsley leaves, then mince the parsley
- While the squash is roasting, make the cheese sauce: Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Cook the roux (butter and flour mix), stirring often, until it has turned a light golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk until smooth, then add the garlic and salt.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese until smooth and combined, then add the mashed butternut squash.
- Stir to combine, then pour the sauce into the cooked penne noodles and stir to coat.
- Pour the penne and cheese sauce into a greased 9×13” baking dish.
- Top the ziti with the shredded cheddar and mozzarella, and place the baking dish in the oven. .
- Bake until the cheese has melted and begun to brown, about 8-10 minutes.
Prep it for later:
1. Roast the butternut squash as directed in steps 1-4.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and then cook the penne until al dente.
3. Rinse with cold water, then transfer to a large resealable bag or container.
4. Peel and mince the garlic, and strip the parsley leaves and mince.
5. Then cook the roux according to steps 8-13, then add to the bag or container with the penne and stir to coat. These prepped ingredients will last 3-4 days in the fridge, or 1 month in the freezer.
1 bag or container of roasted butternut squash
1 bag or container of boiled penne mixed with cheese sauce
1 bag or container of shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese
Prepare from prepped:
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F and grease a 9×13” baking dish.
2. Combine the butternut squash and penne-cheese sauce mix until combined, then pour into the greased casserole dish.
3. Top evenly with shredded cheddar and mozzarella, then bak 8-10 minutes, until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.