Proteinhangar steak2 pound
Dry Goodstable salt to taste
freshly cracked pepper to taste
hot sauce1 teaspoon
olive oil.25 cup
crusty white bread8 slices
DairyAmerican cheese8 slices
Tossing the onions in a bit of cornstarch prior to frying helps them crisp up a little faster, adding a bit of crunch to this slightly spicy steak sandwich. Add as much or as little cheese as you want, or as much or as little hot sauce to the mayonnaise as you want. If you prefer your bread on the crisper side, pop it in the toaster prior to putting the steak sandwich in the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 450*F.
- In a cast iron pan or nonstick, ovenproof skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
- Sprinkle the steak evenly on both sides with salt and pepper, and add to the pan.
- Sear each side of the steak until a golden brown crust appears, about 3-4 minutes a side.
- Finish the steak in the oven to the desired stage of doneness, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove steak from the oven and let rest until ready to slice.
- In a cast iron pan or nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
- Slice the onions thinly and toss with cornstarch in a medium bowl until coated.
- Fry the onions in the olive oil until cooked through and crispy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove and let rest until cool enough to handle.
- Mix together the hot sauce and mayonnaise in a small bowl. Any mayo leftover will keep in the fridge, tightly covered, for up to one month.
- Layer the mayo on both sides of the bread, top with steak and fried onions. Layer with cheese.
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil and bake the sandwich, open faced, until the cheese melts and is bubbly.
Prep it for later:
1. Make the onions according to the instructions in Step 8-10. When the onions are cool enough to handle, transfer to a resealable container.
2. Make the hot mayo according to the instructions in Step 11 and transfer to a resealable container.
The cooked onions and hot sauce will store in the fridge for up to 5 days. The onions will store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
1 container of cooked onions
1 container of hot mayo
Prepare from prepped:
1. Cook the steak according to the instructions in Steps 1-6.
2. Thaw the onions if necessary, and then gently reheat either in the microwave or on the stove over low heat, until warmed all the way through.
3. Continue following the instructions in Steps 12-13 to make the sandwiches, and serve hot.