Producegreen cabbage1 small head
Dry Goodsolive oilto taste
Kosher saltto taste
freshly cracked pepperto taste
crushed tomatoes28-ounce can
tomato paste6-ounce can
prepared pesto2 tablespoons
mafalda pasta16 ounces
Proteinground beef1 pound
Dairywhole milk ricotta16 ounces
cream cheese4 ounces
shredded mozzarella12 ounces
Spicesground garlic1 teaspoon
onion powder1 teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 450*F
- Slice the cabbage into thick “steaks”.
- Arrange the cabbage on a large sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place in the oven to roast, 15-18 minutes, until soft and browned.
- Turn the heat down to 350*F.
- Set cabbage aside until serving.
- While the cabbage is cooking, cook the sauce: Combine the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste in a large pot over medium heat, til simmering.
- Add the ground beef and use a wooden spoon to gently break it up.
- Let the sauce come back to a simmer.
- Cook the sauce, stirring occasionally to break up any large pieces of ground beef, for about 15-18 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
- Stir in the pesto and set the sauce aside.
- While the sauce is cooking, boil the noodles in a large pot of salted water until al dente.
- Drain and rinse with cold water, then set aside.
- Combine the ricotta, cream cheese, garlic powder and onion powder until smooth and combined.
- When the sauce is ready, spread half the sauce on the bottom of a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
- Top the sauce with half the noodles, gently spreading to cover the sauce.
- Top the noodles with half the ricotta, gently spreading with a spoon to cover the noodles.
- Cover the ricotta mixture with sauce, reserving about ½ a cup
- Add the remaining noodles and gently spread
- Add the remaining ricotta, gently spreading.
- Top the ricotta with the last bit of the sauce, gently spreading.
- Top the last layer of sauce with the shredded mozzarella.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake 12-15 minutes, until the mozzarella has melted and it beginning to lightly brown.
- If the cabbage has cooled, place it back in the oven to warm up enough to serve.
- Remove the la-ziti and serve alongside the cabbage.
Prep It For Later:
1. Roast the cabbage according to instructions 1-7, then transfer to a resealable bag or container.
2. Make the meat sauce according to instructions 8-12, then transfer to a resealable bag or container.
3. Mix the ricotta, cream cheese, garlic powder, and onion powder, and transfer to a resealable bag or container.
The cabbage, meat sauce, and ricotta mixture will last in the fridge for up to 4 days. The meat sauce can be frozen for up to 3 months.
1 bag or container of roasted cabbage
1 bag or container of meat sauce
1 bag or container of ricotta mixture
Prepare from prepped:
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F.
2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the mafalda pasta until al dente.
3. Drain the pasta, then layer the dish according to instructions 16-24.
4. Reheat the cabbage in the oven on a sheet pan while the la-ziti bakes, or in the microwave.