ProteinItalian sausage1 pound
Producesweet potato1 large
Dry Goodscornstarch2 tablespoons
table salt1 teaspoon
Dairyshredded provolone cheese2 cups
whole milk3 cups
Spiralized sweet potatoes add heft to this breakfast casserole without the bread. Use a mild, melty white cheese that’s not too sharp, so as to not overpower the flavor of the sweet potato. I haven’t tried it this way yet, but I think a spicy sausage such as chorizo would do really well here, if spice is your thing.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook the sausage until browned, crumbling it into small pieces as it cooks. Once cooked, drain and set aside.
- While the sausage it cooking, peel the sweet potato and discard the skins. Insert the sweet potato into a vegetable spiralizer, and spiralize the entire potato. You should have about 2 cups of spirals when finished. Toss the spirals with the cornstarch and set aside.
- In a separate, large bowl, whisk together the shredded cheese, eggs, whole milk and salt. Stir in the sausage until fully combined, then add the sweet potatoes. Stir until combined, then pour the mixture into a 13”x9” baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375*.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake the casserole, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes or until the center is set and doesn’t jiggle when moved.
- Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle. Serve warm.
Prep it for later:
1. Remove casings from sausage if necessary, the brown the sausage over medium heat, crumbling it as it cooks with a wooden spoon. Drain away and excess grease, then transfer to a resealable bag or container.
2. Spiralize the sweet potatoes and toss in cornstarch until lightly coated. Transfer to a resealable bag or container.
Cooked sausage and spiralized sweet potatoes will store for up to 5 days in the fridge. They will each last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
1 bag or container of cooked sausage
1 bag or container of spiralized sweet potatoes
Prepare from prepped:
1. Thaw ingredients as necessary.
2. Preheat the oven to 350*F.
3. Follow the instructions in Steps 3-6.