Dry Goodscrusty white bread2-3 cups cubed, dried out
table salt1/2 teaspoon
Produceleeks2 large, cleaned and sliced
pear2 large, cored and diced
garlic2 cloves, minced
Dairyshredded cheddar cheese1 cup
whole milk1 cup
ProteinItalian sausage1 pound, casings removed
I love the balance of flavors in this unconventional savory bread pudding. You can use it as a replacement for tabletop stuffing on the Thanksgiving dinner table, but when you add crumbled sausage to it, It’s a really filling weeknight meal as well!
Staying away from meat? Par-baked sweet potatoes or butternut squash will extra heft as well.
Don’t have time to let your bread sit and dry out? Spread cubed bread on a sheet pan and bake at 250*F for about 15 minutes- that’ll do the trick. Use sandwich bread if that’s what is easiest, but I really love using a good quality artisan loaf here.
I use slightly sweeter Bosc pears in this recipe, but pretty much any ripe pear will do.
Make it from fresh:
- Preheat the oven to 350*F and grease a 9×13” baking dish.
- If using, brown the sausage over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to break it up as it cooks, until it is crumbled into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss together the sausage if using, bread, leeks, diced pear and grated cheddar.
- Transfer the dry ingredients to the baking dish.
- Combine the eggs, milk, minced garlic and salt. Whisk until the eggs are well beaten into the milk.
- Pour the wet ingredients evenly over the dry ingredients.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, until the egg and cream mixture has set and the top bread cubes have browned and crisped.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
Prep It For Later:
1. Cube the bread and dry it out, either on the counter overnight, or in the oven as instructed.
2. Brown and crumble the sausage, if using.
3. Mince the leeks and garlic
4. Peel, core, and dice the pears
5. Grate the cheddar.
6. Combine the bread cubes, crumbled sausage, leeks, garlic, and cheddar in a large resealable bag or container. You may have to divide between 2 containers for space.
1 resealable bag or container of cubed bread, crumbled sausage, minced leeks, minced garlic, diced pears, and grated cheddar.
Prepare from prepped:
1. Preheat the oven to 350*F and grease a 9x13” baking dish.
2. Spread the dry ingredients in the bottom of the pan.
3. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt until the eggs are well beaten
4. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry.
5. Place the pan in the oven and bake 15-18 minutes, until the egg and cream mixture has set and the top breadcrumbs are browned and crisped.
6. Remove from the oven and serve warm.