Proteinchuck roast2 pounds
Spicesdried rosemary1 tablespoon
Kosher salt1 tablespoon
Dry Goodsdry red wine1 cup
beef broth1 cup
Frozenriced cauliflower2 cups
This is a stalwart recipe of a busy kitchen, and one that’s incredibly easy to prep ahead of time, too. I’ve included instructions for making mashed cauliflower from fresh- although you can always cheat and buy it pre-made, too!
I really like the light, almost nutty flavor of mashed cauliflower as a foil against the comforting flavors of pot roast, but egg noodles, mashed potatoes, or even polenta work great instead, also. I get riced cauliflower typically from the freezer section or in the pre-packed section of my grocery store, but it’s easy to make- just cut off the stalks and stems from fresh cauliflower, and blitz in the food processor or blender until the pieces are tiny.
Got fresh rosemary on hand? That’s preferred in this recipe, but it’s a big flavor, so if you’re going fresh, use half of what the recipe calls for.
I like prepping this recipe with bouillon or bouillon seasoning (such a Better Than Bouillon) but liquid beef broth works great.
- Heat a large saucepan with 3-4 tablespoon olive oil.
- Rub the roast all over with salt, then sear on all sides in the pan, until each side of the roast is deep brown.
- Transfer the roast to the slow cooker and add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6 hours, high for 4 hours.
- Before the pot roast is served, bring a pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add the riced cauliflower and cook, stirring so all the cauliflower is in the water. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, then drain, reserving ½ cup of the boiled water.
- Transfer the cooked cauliflower to a food processor or blender and puree, adding the water a little at a time, until it is smooth and mashed.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve on the side of the cooked pot roast.
Prep it for later:
1. Sear the pot roast as instructed, then transfer to a resealable bag or container.
2. Add to the bag/container with the pot roast the remaining pot roast ingredients.
3. If making the mashed cauliflower from scratch, blitz until riced, then transfer to a resealable bag or container.
1 bag or container of pot roast ingredients.
1 bag or container of riced cauliflower
Prepare from prepped:
1. Transfer the contents of the pot roast bag or container to the slow cooker and cook according to the instructions in the recipes.
2. Cook the riced cauliflower according to the instructions in the recipes.