Dry Goodsvegetable oil1 tablespoon
vegetable broth2 cups
black beans14 ounce can
diced tomatoes14 ounce can
Producesweet potato8 ounces, peeled
carrot2 large, diced
onion1 large, diced
garlic2 cloves, minced
red bell pepper2 large, diced
chipotle paste.5 teaspoon
table salt.5 teaspoon
Extra Itemssour cream (to taste)
hot sauce (to taste)
avocado (diced, to taste)
This skillet chili is cooked in a skillet instead of simmering for a few hours in a pot. It comes together quickly, making it a perfect weeknight dish! It’s also super customizable – you can add in ground beef if you’re not in a vegetarian mood, and swap some of the stock for a dark beer to punch up the flavor. If you want to add ground beef, add it in after Step 4, after the pan has been deglazed. Brown the bef, crumbling it as it cooks, then proceed to Step 5.
- Begin by heating the vegetable oil over medium heat in a large skillet, until shimmering
- Add the sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions and cook until the onions are cooked through and the potatoes and carrots have started to soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bell peppers and diced tomatillos and stir to combine, cooking until the garlic has whitened and become fragrant, about 1-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the stock, scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Add the black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, paprika, chipotle powder, salt and cumin, then stir to combine. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 20 minutes, until all the vegetables have cooked through and softened. Stir occasionally.
- Remove chili from heat and serve hot with garnishes.
Prep it for later:
1. Chop the sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions, combine, and store in a resealable bag or container.
2. Chop the garlic, bell pepper, and tomatillos and combine, and store in a resealable bag or container.
3. Combine the black beans, diced tomato, corn, paprika, chipotle powder, salt, and cumin in a resealable bag or container.
Bags or containers of prepared ingredients will last in the fridge for up to 3 days, and the freezer for 3 months. If using a resealable bag, squeeze out as much air as you can, to stop discoloring.
1 bag or container of sweet potatoes, carrots, and onions
1 bag or container of garlic, bell pepper, and tomatillos
1 bag or container of black beans, diced tomato, corn, paprika, chipotle powder, salt, and cumin
1 cube or cup of vegetable or chicken broth
Prepare from prepped:
1. Thaw ingredients as necessary.
2. Cook as directed in instructions, and serve with your desired garnishes.