Spiced Chickpea and Coconut Curry
Dry Goodsolive oil1 tablespoon
canned chickpeas2 14-ounce cans
vegetable broth2 cups
coconut milk2 14-ounce can
fresh ginger1 ounce
red bell pepper1 diced
Swiss chard1 bunch
Spicestable salt1 teaspoon
This spiced coconut curry is inspired by “The Stew”, a famous spiced chickpea soup from Alison Roman at The New York Times. Crushing the chickpeas with the back of a wooden spoon while they cook is important; it helps thicken the stew and imbue the chickpeas with more flavor. This recipe calls for Swiss chard, but you can substitute most hearty greens, like spinach, mustard greens, bok choy, or even escarole.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Peel and mince the ginger and garlic
- Remove the seeds from the bell pepper, then dice
- If using Swiss chard, roughly chop into bite-sized pieces
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot, until the oil is shimmering.
- Add the vegetables and stir, cooking 2-3 minutes, or until the garlic has started to lighten in color and has become fragrant.
- Stir in the spices, then add the drained chickpeas, broth, and coconut milk
- Turn heat to low and simmer 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the stew has reduced by a third.
- Using a wooden spoon, crush some of the chickpeas, stirring them into the stew. This will help thicken the stew.
- Serve hot with crusty bread or naan bread on the side
Slow cooker instructions: Thaw ingredients overnight in fridge or as necessary. Transfer contents of bag to slow cooker and cook on low, stirring occasionally and crushing the chickpeas as they cook, until the soup is heated through and the peppers, chickpeas and onions are soft- about 1-2 hours. Serve with naan bread.
Prep it for later:
1. Chop the vegetables according the to the instructions in Step 1-4. Stir in the spices, then transfer to a resealable bag or container.
2. If desired, combine the drained, cooked chickpeas, coconut milk and add to the vegetables.
Store the prepared ingredients in the fridge for up to 4 days, or the freezer for up to 3 months.
1 bag or container of prepared ingredients
Prepare from prepped:
1. Thaw ingredients as necessary.
2. Prepare the ingredients according to the instructions in the original recipe.