Ready in under 40 minutes and layered with refried black beans, taco-flavored ground beef and melty cheese, these Stuffed Poblano Peppers are a sure-fire hit and a perfect weeknight meal!
So, after I confessed my never-ending love for Homemade Taco Seasoning last week, I pretty much started taco-ing all the things. That’s normal, right?
These Stuffed Poblano Peppers with ground beef, refried black beans and cheese were my favorite result of the taco seasoning binge, and I bet you’ll love them just as much as we did! I love how layered they are, which packs them full of so much extra flavor.
Big Time Bonus: They’re ready in under 40 minutes.
I mean, come on! It’s the perfect weeknight meal, and a little healthier than your standard taco, too.
Of course, if you jazz it up with slices of avocado, more hot sauce, diced tomatoes and sour cream, like, um, me, then maybe it’s not SO healthy after all. But hopefully, I’ll get a pass on that because these stuffed poblanos are so dang tasty.
I used refried black beans in this recipe since I prefer them taste-wise to refried red beans, but you’re more than welcome to use the beans you like best!
This simple recipe clocks in with only 6 ingredients.
It’s really 7 if you count the oil, so it’s the perfect thing to throw together on a busy weeknight.
They also freeze great, and – my favorite bonus – are handy to eat one-handed, with a baby on your hip. I know this from real life. So they’d be great to bring over as a gift to a new mom or parent!
I like to go all in with the taco-ness of these peppers, too, and add a dollop of sour cream and maybe some Valentina hot sauce if I’m feeling feisty.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 5 poblano peppers
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (see recipe link: https://percolatekitchen.com/homemade-taco-seasoning/)
- 1 onion (, diced)
- 1 cup (8oz) refried beans
- 8 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Slice each poblano in half and remove the seeds. Arrange the poblanos, cut side up and side by side, in a large ovenproof baking dish.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large stainless steel saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook until browned, crumbling the beef as it cooks.
- When the beef is cooked through, remove the pan from the heat and pour off any excess grease.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, mixing to combine thoroughly.
- While the beef is cooking, spread 1-2 tablespoons of refried beans into each pepper, smoothing to coat the bottom of each pepper evenly.
- When the beef mixture is cooked, divide evenly among each pepper.
- Sprinkle the peppers with cheese, and place in the oven.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and begins to bubble and brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Want in on my meal planning, recipe swapping, ‘busy moms cooking’ community?
Leave your info below and I’ll send you the invite!
Want to join a community of other working moms trading recipes, picky eater tips, kitchen gadgets, and weeknight cooking woes?