Stuffed Poblanos with Cheesy Rice and Salsa Verde
Producepoblano pepper6 large
garlic4 cloves, minced
lime juice.25 cup
Dry Goodswhite or brown rice2 cups, cooked
black beans1 cup, cooked
Dairyshredded cheddar cheese1 cup
Think of these like a tortilla-free version of enchiladas; the cheese is mixed in with rice and black beans for a hearty, cheesy, protein-based inside, and the whole thing is covered with a zesty salsa verde that’s made with a simple mix of roasted tomatillos, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Slice the tomatillos in half.
- Heat a dry, large, stainless steel saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the tomatillos, cut side down, and cook until browned, then flip.
- One the tomatillo is softened and browned on both sides, transfer to a large food processor fitted with an S blade. You may have to work in batches.
- Add to the food processor the lime juice, cilantro, and garlic. Process until pureed and smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked brown rice, cheddar cheese, and black beans.
- Arrange the poblanos skin side down in a 9x13” greased casserole dish. Fill each poblano with the rice and black bean mixture.
- Pour the salsa verde evenly over the poblanos.
- Bake 350*F oven for 35-40 minutes or until the poblanos have softened all the way through and the cheese has melted.
Prep it for later:
1. If needed, cook the brown rice. Drain and set aside.
2. Combine the rice with shredded cheese and black beans, stirring gently to not mash the beans, until the ingredients are well mixed.
3.Make the salsa verde according to the instructions in Step 1 and 2.
4. Slice the poblanos in half. Scrape and discard the seeds.
Sliced poblanos will hold for up to 3 days in the fridge if covered tightly. Do not freeze.
Rice mixture and salsa verde will hold in the freezer for up to 3 months. Store rice mixture and salsa separately.
1 bag or container or cooked rice, cheese, and black beans
1 bag or container of prepared salsa verde
1 bag or container of sliced poblano peppers
Prepare from prepped:
1. Thaw ingredients as necessary.
2. Preheat the oven to 350*F.
3. Arrange the poblanos skin side down in a 9x13” greased casserole dish.
4. Fill each poblano with the rice and black bean mixture.
5. Pour the salsa verde evenly over the poblanos.
6. Bake 350*F oven for 35-40 minutes or until the poblanos have softened all the way through and the cheese has melted.