ProteinItalian sausage2 pounds, casings removed if necessary
Producered onion2 small, sliced thin
portobello mushroom caps6 large caps, stems removed
fresh basil2 tablespoons chopped
Dry Goodsolive oil1/4 cup
balsamic vinegar1/2 cup
Dairygrated parmesan1/3 cup
Balsamic vinegar, red onion, and crumbled sausage pair together stuffed inside earthy portobello mushrooms and topped with a shower of grated parmesan cheese- this is a meal packed with flavor, comin’ atcha from all sides.
- Heat the olive oil and balsamic vinegar over medium heat until warmed, and then add the sausage and red onions.
- Cook, crumbling the sausage while you do so, until the sausage is completely cooked through and the red onion has softened.
- While the sausage is cooking, remove the stems and scrape the black gills from the inside of the portobello caps.
- Set the caps, gill-side up, on a sheet pan and preheat the oven to 400*F.
- In a small bowl, combine the grated parmesan and chopped basil leaves until mixed.
- Once the sausage is cooked, spoon it into the mushroom caps, dividing evenly.
- Top the mushroom caps with the parmesan cheese and basil mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, until the mushrooms have softened and the cheese is melted.
Prep it for later:
1. Brown and cook the sausage and onions with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and once cool enough to handle, transfer to a resealable bag or container.
2. Scrape out the mushroom caps and store in a resealable bag or container..
3. Combine the parmesan and basil and store in a sealable bag.
4. Seasoned meat and parmesan bags can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months or the fridge for 1 month; the mushrooms can be stored in the fridge for up to 10 days.
1 resealable bag or container with browned sausage, onion, and balsamic vinegar and oil
1 resealable bag or container with scraped clean mushroom caps
1 resealable bag or container with grated parmesan and chopped basil
Prepare from prepped: If frozen, thaw in the fridge overnight.
1. Preheat the oven to 400*F.
2. Spoon the browned sausage and onions into the mushroom caps, dividing evenly.
3. Top with grated parmesan cheese.
4. Bake 8-12 minutes or until the mushrooms have softened and the cheese is melted.