Producegreen bell pepper1 large
white pepper.25 teaspoons
table salt.5 teaspoon
Dry Goodschicken broth2 cups
dried white beans1.5 cups
Proteinboneless, skinless chicken thigh2 pounds
You can use cannellini or Great Northern beans in this recipe. There’s no need to soak the beans beforehand. You may also substitute chicken thighs for chicken breast; the former won’t shred as easily but it will add a bit more flavor to the dish.
Make sure you wear a pair of rubber gloves while handling the jalapeno; the spicy oils can stay on your hands for a long time and cause irritation.
Allowing for the pot to come to pressure and then down from pressure, this recipe take about an hour to make; although there’s maybe 10 minutes of active time.
I love serving this chili with a generous amount of Greek yogurt (in lieu of sour cream), shredded cheese, and tortilla chips.
- Slice open the bell pepper and remove the ribs and seeds. Chop the bell pepper into small dice.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Cut away the stem of the jalapeno, then slice it open and scrape away the seeds. Mince finely.
- Add the vegetables to the Instant Pot.
- Add the spices to the Instant Pot, including the salt and pepper, and stir to combine until the vegetables are coated.
- Pour in the chicken broth, then add the chicken breasts and beans.
- Secure the lid and make sure the steam release valve is set to “seal”.
- Press the “Beans and Chili” button, or High Pressure for 40 minutes, then allow for a natural release.
- When the chili is done, open the open and stir to combine. Remove the chicken and shred, then place back in the pot.
- Serve the chili with your favorite toppings.
Prep it for later:
1. Prepare the vegetables according to the instructions in Steps 1-4. Transfer vegetables to a resealable bag or container.
2. Add to the vegetable bag the chicken broth, spices, beans, and chicken.
(If using broth base, like bouillon cubes, add without the water, and write a quick label on the front of the bag or container about how much water to add at thetime of cooking. This saves space during storage, and helps the meal thaw faster!)
Prepared ingredients will store in the fridge for up to 4 days, and the freezer for up to 3 months.
1 bag or container of prepared ingredients
Prepare from prepped:
1. Thaw ingredients as necessary.
2. Add the thawed ingredients to the Instant Pot and secure the lid.
3. Cook on “Beans and Chili”, or on High Pressure for 40 minutes, with a natural release.
4. Remove the chicken and shred, then add back to the pot.
5. Serve the chili with your favorite toppings.