This Instant Pot recipe is the one I tell people about when I tell them they need to get an Instant Pot.
I tell them about this recipe because it’s pretty much incredible; you throw frozen chicken breasts, dried beans, liquid and seasonings into the Instant Pot, push one button, and 40 minutes later you sit down to CHILI.
Just like chili that has been simmering away all day in a crock pot chili.
Just like chili that usually takes a few hours and advanced prep to make.
This is an Instant Pot White Chicken Chili where you don’t even have to have planned for it ahead of time.
You can just be like, “oh, I want chili” and you reach into your freezer and pantry and you make chili in the same amount of time it takes to watch 2/3rds of the Gilmore Girls
Well, ok, maybe a full episode of the Gilmore Girls; don’t forget to allow time to let the IP come to pressure and then a natural release.
Then you can eat that chili while watching another episode of the Gilmore Girls.
(Ask me how I know the timing on this.)
This is the wonder of the Instant Pot, my friends. And this is the recipe that has saved my weeknight butt more times than I can count.
Can you make this chili with canned beans and thawed chicken?
Yep- just halve the time from 40 minutes to 20.
Can you make it with frozen chicken and canned beans?
Sure; that’s 20 minutes of pressure as well.
Can you make it exactly like the recipe says?
Can this chili save my life?
Honestly, it might. I wouldn’t be surprised.Print
You can use cannellini or Great Northern beans in this recipe. There’s no need to soak the beans beforehand. You may also substitute chicken thighs for chicken breast; the former won’t shred as easily but it will add a bit more flavor to the dish. Make sure you wear a pair of rubber gloves while handling the jalapeno; the spicy oils can stay on your hands for a long time and cause irritation. Allowing for the pot to come to pressure and then down from pressure, this recipe take about an hour to make; although there’s maybe 10 minutes of active time. I love serving this chili with a generous amount of Greek yogurt (in lieu of sour cream), shredded cheese, and tortilla chips.
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons paprika
¼ teaspoon white pepper
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups chicken broth
1 pound boneless, skinless frozen chicken breasts
1 ½ cups dried white beans
- Prepare the ingredients:
- Slice open the bell pepper and remove the ribs and seeds. Chop the bell pepper into small dice.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Peel and mince the garlic.
- Cut away the stem of the jalapeno, then slice it open and scrape away the seeds. Mince finely.
- Add the vegetables to the Instant Pot.
- Add the spices to the Instant Pot, including the salt and pepper, and stir to combine until the vegetables are coated.
- Pour in the chicken broth, then add the chicken breasts and beans.
- Secure the lid and make sure the steam release valve is set to “seal”.
- Press the “Beans and Chili” button, or High Pressure for 40 minutes, then allow for a natural release.
- When the chili is done, open the open and stir to combine. Remove the chicken and shred, then place back in the pot.
- Serve the chili with your favorite toppings.