I love this simple grilled salad of peaches, tomato, and mozzarella as a side for barbecues
It’s also great for when you just want to take advantage of perfect summer produce!
Grilling brings out an inherent sweetness in tomatoes, and it highlights the sugars in peaches. Rounding out the entire dish is creamy, milky mozzarella, drizzled with a zing of balsamic vinegar and garnished with chopped fresh herbs.
Here’s how good this grilled salad of peach, tomato, and mozzarella is:
I ate it standing at the counter in my kitchen, using only my fingers. It’s one of those, “Ok, one more bite – and then I’ll stop” kind of salads. But… I didn’t stop.
The combo practically sings together at the end of a fork; a grilled salad of caramelized tomato, sweet, perfumey peach, topped off with milky mozz and a splash of vinegar and I swear, it’s like your taste buds threw a party. A party with a smoky bbq, a radio of summer tunes playing in the corner, and friends standing around gripping sweaty glasses of cold drinks while the sun beats down.
In other words, summer.
Perfect, delicious summer. It’s the start of August and that makes me feel panicked that I only have one month-ish left of summer to enjoy!
So with that in mind, head to the farmer’s market for sun-ripened produce, fire up the bbq, and make this grilled salad. Your taste bud party will thank you.
olive oil (for brushing)
1-2 ripe peaches (pitted and sliced into rounds)
1-2 heirloom tomatoes (stem removed and sliced into rounds)
to taste large grain sea or kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
3 oz fresh mozzarella (torn or sliced into rounds)
1 tablespoon fresh oregano or basil leaves (torn)
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Line a grill with aluminum foil and brush with olive oil or spray with nonstick cooking oil.
- Brush each slice of peach and tomato with olive oil on both sides and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the slices on the aluminum foil, leaving a little space between each slice.
- Grill for about one minute each side, until grill marks appear and the fruit has softened slightly.
- Place the grilled slices on a plate and scatter with fresh mozzarella. Sprinkle with the oregano or basil, drizzle with balsamic vinegar, and serve immediately.
You might also like: